50 years ago — Washington Council of Lawyers was founded to reform the DC Bar and fight for social justice.
Today — Washington Council of Lawyers is a vibrant voice for the DC pro bono and public interest community, fighting for access to justice, with more than 70 programs during the past year.
50 years from 1971 to 2021 — Washington Council of Lawyers has worked to ensure our legal systems treat everyone fairly regardless of money, position, or power; fought for access to justice for everyone; trained and mentored thousands of public-interest and pro bono lawyers; and helped build a community of fierce social justice warriors.
So many individuals have been a part of our work. We’re excited to invite all of you to join us for our virtual 50th Anniversary Reunion on Remo on Thursday, July 22, 2021, at 5:00 pm ET.
We’ll begin the evening with an opportunity to connect with old friends and make new ones. Then we’ll hear from past presidents from across the decades, describing:
- How Washington Council of Lawyers solidified its reputation as a strong leader in the public-interest community.
- Why Washington Council of Lawyers continues to bind our community together.
- What the key milestones, memories, and moments were that make Washington Council of Lawyers great.
Our past president panelists across the decades will include:
- 1970s — Marc Efron, Retired Partner at Crowell & Moring and president from 1972-1973
- 1980s — Lawrence Schneider, Active Retired Partner at Arnold & Porter and president from 1984-1985
- 1990s — Katia Garrett, COO of the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights & Urban Affairs and president from 1995-1996
- 2000s — Jessica Rosenbaum, Senior Advisor for the DC Access to Justice Commission and president from 2006-2007
- 2010s — Moderator — Paul Lee, Pro Bono Counsel at Steptoe & Johnson LLP and president from 2014-2016.
Our 50th Anniversary Reunion is free to attend, but we are encouraging donations to help us stay strong for the next 50 years!
We hope you will join us to reminisce and celebrate! Save your spot today.
Join our ongoing 50th Anniversary celebration on social media using #50YearsStrong!