Founded in 1971, Washington Council of Lawyers is the only voluntary bar association in the Washington, DC area exclusively devoted to promoting pro bono and public interest law. We work to ensure that our legal system treats everyone fairly, regardless of money, position, or power. Our members represent the legal community’s diversity: They come from law firms, law schools, legal service providers, government, and other private and nonprofit organizations.
We promote pro bono and public-interest law by focusing on four pillars: training and professional development, mentoring the next generation of public interest lawyers, advocating for issues that expand access to justice, and building a vibrant public interest community.
We currently are seeking a Program Director to support our work. This position is ideal for recent law graduates, part-time law students, someone who wants to transition to a part-time position or return to the workforce, legal support individuals, or anyone who wants to support pro bono and public interest work through a programmatic and policy lens.
Reports to: Executive Director
We are looking for a Program Director who will help us to provide high-quality programs. The Program Director will be responsible for programmatic and logistical support for trainings and events and communications strategy and implementation. Along with the Administrative Director, the Program Director will provide general operational support for the Executive Director and will be an integral member of our team.
- Assist with the creation, promotion, and implementation of programs
- Draft bimonthly newsletter
- Manage Public Interest Jobs Clearinghouse
- Coordinate and co-host in-person, virtual and hybrid events
- Support committee work
- Assist the Mentoring Program.
- Coordinate the Eviction Defense Cohort trainings
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
Notes: (1) This job includes occasional transport of supplies and materials to events, etc.; reasonable accommodations will be made if the candidate is unable to perform such functions; (2) This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of key job functions, and job duties may change over time based on organizational needs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word and Excel
- Familiarity with social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn and Hootsuite social media software
- Must be able to work well with a wide variety of individuals.
- Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to work independently
- Excellent time and task management skills
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- A strong commitment to our mission and to professionalism
- Experience with the legal community
- Familiarity with Google platforms including Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Forms, Google Drive
This position is 20 hours per week. Hours are generally flexible with the majority of work occurring during regular business hours. Occasional evening work is required to assist with evening programs. We have traditionally split our time between working remotely and being in the office for meetings, programs, and events. Pandemic protocols are currently in place, and we will return to our hybrid model as soon as safety allows.
Salary and Benefits:
The anticipated salary range for this position is $27,040 – $32,240 on a part-time (20-hours per week) basis depending upon qualifications and experience. We offer paid vacation, sick, and family medical leave.
Please email a resume and cover letter in one PDF document to email@example.com with “[Full Name] – Program Director” as the subject of the email.
We encourage the submission of applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. The position remains open until filled.
Washington Council of Lawyers is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, or any applicable characteristics protected by law.