The following is a list of resources for lawyers serving clients and DC residents in need of support. We will continue to update as more resources become available.
- Best Practices for Attorneys Handling Remote/Virtual Hearings is available at this LINK.
- National Center for State Courts safe reopening considerations is at this LINK.
- National Center for State Courts reopening webinar series is available at this LINK.
- ABA Division for Bar Services reopening plan guidance is at this LINK.
ABA COVID-19 Resource Pages
- Standing Committee for Legal Aid and Indigent Defense page is at this LINK.
- COVID-19 Resource page is at this LINK.
- COVID-19 Task Force is at this LINK. This includes information on substantive issues, as well as resources for legal services organizations around remote work. The Task Force is chaired by Jim Sandman, former President of the Legal Services Corporation, and our own Honorary Board member!
National Center for State Courts COVID-19 Resource Page
Legal Response Resources
- Paul│Weiss Coronavirus Resource Center is at this LINK.
- Trustlaw COVID-19 Response is available at this LINK.
- Bloomberg Law Practical Guide: Coronavirus Toolkit is at this LINK.
- National Legal Aid & Defender Association (NLADA) Covid-19 Updates & Resources as this LINK.
Virtual Pro Bono & Volunteer Opportunities
Local Pro Bono Opportunities
- DC Virtual Pro Bono Fair available at this LINK.
- Pro Bono Resource Center of Maryland opportunities at this LINK.
- ProBono.net/DC at this LINK.
National Pro Bono Opportunities
- The American Bar Association (ABA), together with Paladin, has created a Disaster Relief Pro Bono Portal with resources for people affected by COVID-19 and other recent disasters available at this LINK.
- The Association of Pro Bono Counsel (APBCo) is launching a coordinated pro bono response at this LINK.
- Sign up for National Disaster Legal Aid Advocacy Center’s COVID-19 Legal Response listserv and explore resources related to COVID-19 at this LINK.
- The Document Assembly Line Project operating out of Suffolk Law’s Legal Innovation and Technology Lab is an assembly line working to create mobile-friendly accessible versions of online court forms and pro se materials in multiple languages. To be a part of the assembly line, join the A2J Slack channel by clicking this LINK and volunteers will help find something for you to do.
- Remote Immigration Pro Bono Opportunities through Immigration Justice Campaign is at this LINK.
- Remote refugee assistance through the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society at this LINK
- If/When/How’s Legal Research Initiative has short-term and long-term legal research projects for law students and legal professionals. Time dedicated to these projects qualifies for pro bono credit at most law schools and for bar admission. Access the list at this LINK.
- The National Association for Law Placement (NALP), in partnership with LawFirmElearning, is developing a series of “tips” videos for law students as they begin searching for jobs and preparing to enter the workforce. Click on this LINK to access the video series.
- 10 Paths to Online Pro Bono provides tips for finding remote pro bono opportunities. Follow this LINK to view the article.
Law Student Pro Bono Opportunities
- The COVID-19 Rapid Response/Systems Summer Institute, a collaboration between People’s Parity Project (PPP), the Systemic Justice Project SJP), and the Justice Catalyst (JC), engages law students in full-time (or part-time) summer legal fellowships. Students will work with legal and law-related organizations responding to the COVID-19 crisis on various projects that involve legal research, writing memos or reports, creating “know your rights” materials, and more. Click this LINK to learn how you can participate.
- Sign up to be a part of a network of over 300 law students, paralegals, and student paralegals who are offering to provide remote pro bono support to attorneys and legal aid organizations. Click this LINK to learn more and sign up.
Non-Legal Volunteer Opportunities
- Links for Helpers from 7.30 DC at this LINK.
- Local volunteer opportunities list sign-up at this LINK.
D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center
- Tips for working remotely with your pro bono client is at this LINK.
- The DC Bar Pro Bono Center’s information on economic relief programs is at this LINK.
- Information about the work of the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center during COVID19 is available at this LINK.
- DC COVID-19 Legal Service Providers Operating Status is available at this LINK.
D.C. Bar Lawyer Assistance Program
- The COVID-19 Well-Being Resources are available at this LINK.
D.C. Bar Practice Management Advisory Service
- Resources for lawyers impacted by the pandemic are available at this LINK.
Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
- COVID-19 Resources page is at this LINK.
Resources for DC Residents, Families, and Children
- LawHelp.org/DC Coronavirus Resource Page is at this LINK.
- Children’s Law Center’s COVID-19 Resources are available at this LINK.
- Employment & Unemployment resources from First Shift Justice Project are available at this LINK.
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia Non-Legal Resource Guide is available at this LINK.
- National Veterans Legal Services Program Fact Sheet on the CARES Act Stimulus Program at this LINK and the Economic Assistance Guide for Veterans is available at this LINK.
- Negotiation Works guides for Negotiating Bills During the COVID-19 Pandemic is at this LINK and Negotiating Household Tensions During the COVID-19 Pandemic is available at this LINK.
- DC Kincare Alliance COVID-19 Resource Center which includes information on protections for DC Residents is at this LINK.