During DC Pro Bono Week 2020, we celebrated lawyers who made a profound difference in the lives of their pro bono clients despite unique challenges. We hope they have inspired you to take on your own pro bono case.
1. Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP’s Pro Bono Counsel Karen Grisez profiled litigation associate Kristin Whidby, who used her legal expertise to help domestic violence survivors and their families find a path to safety.
2. Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)’s Jessalyn Schwartz profiled retired lawyer Ellen Bass, who reactivated her law license to help unaccompanied minors navigate the complex immigration system.
3. Legal Aid’s Jodi Feldman profiled the team from Arnold & Porter who stepped up during the pandemic to serve lower-wage workers who faced significant and systemic barriers in pursuing their claims.
4. D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center’s Matt Stephen profiled Latham & Watkins’ Brad Guest, who has been helping small business owner achieve their dreams for years.
5. D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center’s Matt Stephen also profiled Anam Rahman of Calderón Seguin PLC, who channeled her personal experiences and immigration expertise to truly make a difference for immigrant families.
6. CAIR Coalition’s Jennifer Grishkin & Caroline Largoza profiled the collaborative team from Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise, whose work profoundly changed the life of one immigrant youth and may alter the course of prolonged detention cases in the future.
7. DV Leap’s Sasha Drobnick profiled Jennifer Swize from Jones Day, whose breadth of pro bono work has had an invaluable impact on her clients and DV LEAP as a whole.
8. Children’s Law Center’s Jen Masi profiled the pro bono team from Williams & Connolly, whose work helped a building of families find safety during the holidays.
9. Legal Counsel for the Elderly’s Sheryl Rosensky Miller, Linda B. Popejoy, and Kristina Majewski profiled Dan Cantor from Arnold & Porter, who leads by example and is dedicated to protecting seniors.
Check out the Virtual Pro Bono Fair for a variety of pro bono opportunities.