Pro Bono Week 2021 Profiles: Complete Set
DC Pro Bono Week 2021 is in the books, but we hope that our complete set of Pro Bono Week profiles will inspire you to take on a pro bono case and help those in need.
1. Rising for Justice Expungement Program’s Senior Attorney/Project Manager Amanda Torres profiled antitrust associate Lauren Taylor, who used her legal expertise to help people close the door on a difficult period in their lives through expungement.
2. Director of Legal Services at Christian Legal Aid of DC’s Lindsay Ayers profiled law student Erhan Bedestani, who is enhancing his legal education and continuing his commitment to service through CLADC’s legal clinics.
3. Christian Legal Aid’s Director of Legal Services Lindsay Ayers also profiled Phillip Dehoux who knows the struggles of people with few resources and language barriers and helps them solve fundamental legal issues.
4. Legal Aid’s Sylvia Soltis profiled Baker Botts partner Nadira Clarke, who, most recently, has been helping domestic violence survivors navigate complex custody proceedings.
5. Childrens’ Law Center Pro Bono Director Jen Masi profiled long-time friends and fellow small firm principals Steve Harvey and Keith Howard, who are fighting for special needs students in DC to ensure they have access to the services and resources they need to succeed.
6. CAIR Coalition’s Jennifer Grishkin & Noah Beckert-McGirr profiled the collaborative team of Susan Baker Manning, Patrick Harvey, and Clara Kollm from Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, and by Steven H. Schulman of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP, whose work led to a landmark decision earlier this year that bolsters due process for all people in immigration proceedings, and especially for those who must proceed without the benefit of counsel.
7. Mother’s Outreach Network Executive Director Melody Webb and intern Kemi Kehinde profiled David Fischer, tax partner at Crowell & Moring LLP, and Elena Fowlkes, the Taxpayer Advocate in the D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue, whose work to create the Parents’ Tax Workshop and Clinic which is creating a bridge to economic security for DC families.
8. Network for Victim Recovery of DC Pro Bono and Elder Justice Coordinator Reneé Carrico profiled Hogan Lovells Senior Pro Bono Attorney Blair Decker, who, along with her pro bono volunteers, has been a champion of NVRDC’s work in crime victims’ rights in DC.
9. D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center’s Christine Kulumani profiled Amazon’s pro bono team, who helped create and staff the Startup Legal Clinic for Nonprofits & Small Businesses.
Thank you to these pro bono lawyers for all you do!