DC Pro Bono Week 2019 Profiles: Complete Set
During DC Pro Bono Week 2019 we profiled lawyers who made a profound difference in the lives of their pro bono clients despite heavy demands on their time. We hope they have inspired you to take on your own pro bono case.
1. Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia’s Sylvia Soltis profiled Maryam Casbarro from Davis Wright Tremaine, whose childhood experiences of empathy toward domestic violence survivors informs her pro bono work.
2. Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)’s Jessalyn Schwartz profiled Bez Stern of Kelley Drye & Warren LLP, who helps bring certainty and security to unaccompanied minors.
3. Rising for Justice’s Gwen Washington profiled Steptoe & Johnson’s Jody Cummings, who has steadfastly built solid cases for compelling motions to seal records.
4. Ayuda’s former Pro Bono Managing Attorney Lindsy Miles-Hare profiled Karen Zacharia of Verizon, who ruthlessly prioritizes pro bono while maintaining a busy work schedule.
5. DC Bar Pro Bono Center’s Darryl Maxwell profiled Tammy Hui from Tammy Hui Law + Strategy, PLLC, who is inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit to help other small business owners.
6. Neighborhood Legal Services Program’s Lori Leibowitz profiled Jane Garrido from the US Department of Labor, who is helping to make the DC housing voucher program work through her pro bono efforts.
7. McDermott Will & Emery’s Elizabeth Lewis profiled their partner Paul Thompson, who, despite a heavy appellate caseload, leads by example.
Check out the Virtual Pro Bono Fair for a variety of pro bono opportunities.